It’s the final pick in my Ultimate Car List Top 5 mini-series. Today’s car will likely be a surprise to most. Course with the list we have so far, #5 could be just about anything. I went round and round with this one. Lots of cars made the short list for various reasons. Here are a few that I gave serious consideration to:
- 928 S4 – A Porsche super car from my teenage years. I still love these cars and regularly think about buying a nice 928S or 928 S4. I consider the 928 series to be Porsche’s grand tourer.
- 944 Turbo – Another iconic car for me. My “first time” Porsche experience was in a 944. A buddy of mine had an awesome white 944 that I absolutely loved. In that vein, I’ve always wanted a 944 Turbo. Very fast and very affordable. Red would be the only color to consider.
- 2000 or later 911 Turbo – This would be an awesome “everyday” car. Maybe even a Cabriolet. I love the 2009 root beer colored one with the burnt orange interior they have out our local Porsche dealership.
- Mid-80’s 911 Turbo Look Slantnose – Another iconic Porsche for me. Some day I WILL own a slantnose. A Turbo Look would provide the looks with plenty of power, but less complicated maintenance overall. Midnight blue, like the magazine cover I featured a few months ago, would be the ultimate color.
- 959 – I thought about throwing caution to the wind and choosing a second Porsche super car for the list. Ugly butt and all.
Enough of that though. My final pick for my Ultimate Car List Top 5 is a Gemballa Avalanche. As much as RUF has always been my favorite aftermarket Porsche tuner shop, Gemballa has always struck me as the most in-your-face. The Avalanche and Cirrus creations of the 80’s were so out there that you couldn’t help but kind of love and want one.
Why a Gemballa Avalanche? Aside from the in-your-face looks, the interiors of the Gemballa cars are always unbelievable. They represent as stark of a contrast against a stock Porsche as the outside does. The quality and attention to detail has always drawn me in. Add in the performance characteristics of the cars and I can’t help but love these creations.
The hard part now, is determining what year. My initial choice would be a 1980’s white Avalanche (pictured to the right). These had crazy styling, both in and out, and were vintage Gemballa. They’re tough to find though. If that wasn’t available, I’d go for a later model Avalanche GTR 650 Evo like the orange one pictured in the middle of this post. Again, some amazing styling and unbelievable performance.
A Gemballa Avalanche would round out the garage of 5 cars pretty nicely. You’d have a potential every day driver, with the performance and wow factor of a super car. I know this one is a love it or hate it car, but I just can’t resist parking it in my Ultimate Car garage.
Ultimate Car List Top 5:
- 356 Speedster (1950s)
- 911 Turbo/930 (1978/79)
- RUF Rt 12 (2009)
- Carrera GT (2004-2006)
- Gemballa Avalanche (1980s White or Orange GTR 650 Evo)